The external condom is over 98% effective if used according to instructions.
Condoms if used correctly will help prevent unplanned pregnancy and reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
External condoms come in a variety of shapes, sizes, brands and flavours to suit every individual. Condoms can give extra sensation & stimulation and can be fun.
Free condoms are available from all of our clinics.
For more information on the External Condom, visit Sexwise
Excuses some people use for not using condoms
I haven’t got an STI
They’re too small
I can’t afford them
I’m allergic to latex
It spoils the moment
I can’t get one to fit
I’m always careful
I lose sensitivity
How to use
- Check the Expiry date and look for CE and Kitemark
- Carefully open the wrapper(don’t split the condom with jewellery, fingernails or your teeth)
- Check the roll is on the outside
- Squeeze the teat (so no air is trapped inside)
- Still squeezing the teat use your thumb and forefinger to roll the condom down to the base of the penis
- After ejaculation, hold the condom in place and carefully withdraw your penis
- Take the condom off, and dispose of it responsibly, don’t flush down the toilet
Top tips for using condoms
Practise, Practise Practise!
- Find a condom that you are comfortable with and feels right.
- Condoms should be put on when the penis is erect and before any physical contact.
- Only use water based lubricants(lube) with latex condoms. Oil based products like baby oil, lipstick and Vaseline may damage the condom causing them to split.
- Condoms should be used for any form of sexual activity i.e. vaginal, anal, and oral and if using sex toys.
- Always look for the Kite Mark and CE at the back of the condom wrapper
An Internal condom is made of very thin (polyurethane) plastic.
The internal condom can be inserted at any time before sex, and is placed inside the vagina.
Internal and external condoms shouldn’t be used together.
The internal condom is 95% effective if used according to instructions.
Click play to watch the Sexwise video below of Pufferfish talk Condoms